Supporting the 2012
Javits-Frasier Scholarship for Diverse Talent Development
The under representation of students of poverty in gifted programs is a national crisis. The cost to the nation in terms of talent unfulfilled and lives of promise wasted is enormous. Likewise,training for educators to identify and support low socioeconomic status (SES) and culturally diverse students is critical—to both the students themselves, and to our nation’s future.
- Every child, including those who are gifted and talented, deserves to learn something new every day.
- Every child, including high-ability learners from disadvantaged backgrounds, deserves to be challenged, and to receive guidance and support in the development of his or her potential.
The Javits-Frasier Scholarship for Diverse Talent Development is a scholarship program that trains teachers and counselors to make a difference in the lives of disadvantaged kids who have great potential.
Initiated by the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC), the Javits-Frasier Scholarship Fund for Diverse Talent Development seeks to:
- Increase culturally and linguistically diverse students’ access to talent development opportunities through educator training and support related to equity and excellence in gifted education,
- Identify passionate and innovative teachers and counselors in communities across the country where students from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds are historically under-represented in gifted programs and
- Impart scholarships to teachers from Title I schools to receive professional development focused on advanced students, including attendance at the NAGC Annual Convention.
In a recent Fordham Institute study examining the status of high-achieving students , researchers found that most teachers feel pressure to focus primarily on their lowest achieving students and neglect the high achievers, even though this offends their sense of fairness.
In classrooms today the problems are real, the gap is wide. The NAGC Javits-Frasier Fund seeks to give educators a once-a-lifetime opportunity to discover how their knowledge, training and commitment can make a difference in the lives of children and the future of our nation.
Your $900 contribution will fund one educator
How Can You Support the Javits-Frasier Scholarship Fund for Diverse Talent Development?
1. Contribute as an individual to the Fund. Our fundraising goal is to thank our continuing supporters and at least 50 new Fund contributors at the NAGC Annual Convention.
2. Contribute as a organization or corporation to the Fund. Think about ways in which your members can pool their donations. In addition, NAGC appreciates your suggestions for companies or businesses NAGC may contact.
3. Nominate a teacher or counselor from a Title I school to receive the scholarship. They in turn will learn how to find and challenge high-ability learners from poverty. For the Application, click here.
for a flyer about the program.
Donate Now Online. (You will be asked to sign in as a member or nonmember)
or Send your donation to:
1331 H Street NW, Suite 1001
Washington, DC 20005
Call (202) 785-4268 or e-mail email@example.com
for more information.