Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
What is a CEU?
The Convention Industry Council defines a CEU as a non-academic credit unit conferred by professional organizations for formal educational programs for members who must maintain their level of professionalism.
Will my school, district, state, or organization accept NAGC provided CEUs?
Most education agencies recognize and accept NAGC’s CEUs; however, others do not. You will need to contact your district or state department of education to find out whether NAGC professional development offerings and related CEUs are accepted. NAGC provides participants with a certificate of completion verifying the CEUs earned, but it is the responsibility of individuals to submit their CEUs to their employers.
Can I Earn CEUs at the NAGC Convention & Exposition?
All participants are eligible to earn CEUs for attending any of the pre-convention events, General Sessions, Mini-Keynotes, JAM Sessions, or any sessions within the 15 convention strands. These events are eligible for CEUs because they specify and evaluate learner outcomes.
Each hour earns .1 CEU credit. (Ex. If you attend five concurrent sessions throughout convention, which are an hour each, then you are eligible for .5 CEUs)
Earn CEUs in 3 Easy Steps!
- REGISTER. Your full convention registration gives you access to all Strands. Preconvention Workshops require a separate registration fee. You can register online and pay for a pre-convention event or the full convention until October 24th.
- PARTICIPATE. Attend the full pre-convention event or Convention session. You must attend each session completely.
- COMPLETE THE PARTICIPANT EVALUATION. At the end of convention, NAGC will electronically distribute an overall convention survey. If you complete the form in its entirety, including the name and address fields, then the CEUs for that event will be awarded to you. NAGC will then have a record of your attendance.
What If I Need a Transcript?
In the back of the official program book distributed onsite is a page entitled “Your Personal Convention Planner.” Please use this page to document the sessions you attend. This will serve as your official transcript, which can be verified by your completed evaluation form. If an additional transcript is needed, then please e-mail email@example.com with your name, your contact information, and the details of your request. Additional transcripts are $10 each.
How Much Do I Pay For CEUs?
There is no additional charge for CEUs; the cost is included in your registration fees.
My Employer Wants to Verify I Attended. What Can I Do?
Your CEU transcript can be used for this. If you don’t want CEUs but need to show your employer proof of attendance, please use the Certificate of Attendance. This appears in the back of your official program book.
NAGC offers a unique option for those Convention attendees interested in seeking graduate credit. This will be the third NAGC Convention in which we will offer to individuals and sites the option to participate virtually. On Saturday, November 5, we expect hundreds of educators from across the United States and perhaps internationally will log in and choose from these sessions. Those attending select Saturday sessions – either virtually or in person -- may also choose to earn professional development credit or applied towards a certification program offered by the University of California – Irvine, Extension.
You will choose from these sessions (all are on Saturday, November 5)
7:30 AM – 8:30 AM
- Artful Curriculum Design: A Practical Path
- Kicking Learning Potential Up a Notch: The Effects of Praise
- If this is the 21st Century, Where is my JETPACK?
10:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Using the 2010 NAGC Pre-K-Grade 12 Gifted Programming Standards in Identifying Students from Diverse Backgrounds
- STEM Starters Toolbox: Nuts, Bolts, and Tools for Elementary Gifted Teachers
- To Group or Not to Group, That is the Question
11:45AM – 12:30 PM
- Talkin’ ‘Bout My Generation: Examining Giftedness from a Generational Perspective
- Challenging Talented Readers With 21st Century Skills
- A Crash Course in Practical Counseling Strategies for Teachers of the Gifted
12:45 PM – 1: 30 PM
- Self-Regulation: Critical Skills for Adolescent Gifted Learners
- Building Momentum in Your School for Gifted Programming
- Technological Tools to Teach and Practice Differentiating the Curriculum
1:45 PM – 2:45 PM
- Our Sputnik Moment
- Differentiation and the Brain: Using 21st Century Knowledge to Support Student Growth
- I Hate School: Addressing Affective Needs in Your Gifted Curriculum
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Academic Acceleration: Resources for Identification, Policy, and Advocacy
- The Twice-Exceptional Learner: What Have We Learned and What is Next
- 21st Century Skills for Gifted Learners: Responsibility, Persistence, Collaboration and Resilience
The University of California – Irvine, Extension, will offer NAGC Virtual Convention attendees, as well as those who attend the Convention on Saturday, one (1) unit of professional development credit for $120. This official transcript may be used to document professional development hours and can be submitted to your district as requirements for salary advancement. Additionally, this unit can be applied toward UC Irvine Extension’s fully online Specialized Studies in Gifted & Talented Education certification program.
To be eligible for credit, participants must:
- Attend a minimum of five (5) hours of live and/or archived virtual sessions from Saturday, November 5, 2011;
- Complete a UCI Extension enrollment form;
- Write a single two to three-page reflection paper summarizing what you learned from each of the five virtual sessions attended;
- Create a one to two-page lesson plan highlighting strategies from a single virtual session;
- Submit the enrollment form, reflection paper, lesson plan, and $120 payment to UCI Extension, Attn: Education Programs, PO Box 6050, Irvine, CA 92616-6050.
For more information about this credit opportunity and/or to obtain an official enrollment form, please contact Lisa Kadowaki.